Third Party Child Custody

Although the Court prefers placement with a biological parent, the Court will award custody to a third party if a natural parent is unfit or the child’s placement with mom or dad is unsafe or hazardous. When someone other than the biological parent files for custody of a child, this is known as third party custody. This usually occurs when a parent or both parents suffer from a serious addiction and/or abandonment. This type of action is appropriate when no biological parent is capable to properly care for a child.In this type of matter, the Court considers not only the parent’s unfitness but also the child’s best interests. Such a custody action is not an easy matter.

Comments are closed